View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Sent this to Jenny Gerbasi today,

Jenny, why is a woman being threatened for planting a garden? More importantly, why are there such restrictive guidelines surrounding boulevard planting? David Domke is trying to spin this as being a matter of safety, when really it is nothing more than bureaucracy getting in the way of what is essentially a good thing. I really do find it disconcerting that someone would be harassed down the street from me for something that really should be celebrated. I expect that this will be addressed by you possibly bringing forward the idea of new and improved policies surrounding boulevard care and the unreasonable restrictions that are in currently in place. It is really ironic that Winnipeg is currently in two confrontations on completely opposite ends of the spectrum. The city doesn't like it when the people leave the lawns, but they also don't like it when people take the time to make their boulevards more appealing to neighbours.

The city really does disappoint me sometimes.
I think there should be some type of process that allows for this type of stuff. I've driven through Wolseley and seen some of the "gardens" on the boulevard. Nothing more than a pile of weeds. But if someone maintains it and makes the neighbourhood a more inviting place to live, than go for it!

Not sure where the by-law comes from, but it might have something to do with clearing snow originally. In all the newer developments, the city has to be really careful what the approve. In some of the smaller towns with newer developments, there is no where to pile snow because the driveways take up the entire frontage. Especially on curves.

So if the city says they need 1m from the curb and 0.5m from the sidewalk, I believe that on the context of snow clearing. Everybody knows how high the snow banks get. So if people start putting a garden, then they'll put some edging, then it turns into a small fence, then it turns... you see where I'm going. Then the city gets complaints that the snow piles have flattened all the gardens.

Then it turns into the guy in St. Vital that won't cut the grass. Where does he think the money will come from to pay for the city to cut the grass on everyone's boulevard? You choose to live in a sprawling new subdivision, you should be prepared to pay for it.

It's a fine line. In terms of safety along the boulevards, I'm not sure about that.