View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
Yes, but even as transit's share grows past 50% of people heading downtown and the share of driving shrinks, that does not mean that the number of drivers is shrinking. Our population is still expanding very rapidly and the number of jobs located downtown is ever increasing. Even as the percentage of drivers drops, the volume does or can increase. By 2025, even if 75% of all trips downtown are made by transit, the actual number of drivers can be the same or even more.

In Paris, if 25% of people are driving to work, that's still more people in cars than the entire population of Metro Vancouver. And to top it all off, Metro Vancouver's land area is larger than that of Urban Paris. So imagine if the entire population of Metro Vancouver decided to get in their car and drive around the City of Vancouver, that's what Paris is dealing with... and you want to remove road capacity?
Only 30% of the Metro's land area is developed urban area, the rest is ALR. So while I agree with you that dedicated attempts to reduce already existing capacity is stupid, you're going about it the wrong way.

Should compare the surface area of the streets in Paris to the surface area of streets in Vancouver, width of main thoroughfares, etc.

Trofiren would be one to talk to reference Paris traffic conditions, road network, etc.