View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 8:31 AM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by korzym View Post
I love those plans you put up jeffwhit, transit and urban planning enthusiasts may not, there are practical transportation needs and those plans seem like they could do good for a lot of people and businesses
Uhhh, yeah, for pretty good reasons too. The fact that building those roads would have totally devastated those communities pretty more than offsets any possible gains. It would have been a total disaster.

I'm pretty sure that Inglewood, for example, is more than happy to have sacrificed easier commuting into the core and trucking through the city in order to have saved their community from having a freeway plowed up their collective arse.

Such schemes as the ones above do well enough for suburban commuters and corporations with high volumes of trucking, but it totally fucks over local businesses and people and does irrevocable damage to the urban fabric.

Now, if you could find a route through the north that could be upgraded without causing much harm, and isn't totally redundant, given the presence of the ring road (which pretty much kills anything north of Nose Hill), then I wouldn't have many concerns.

But that's besides another point. If we are going to use one of these routes as an E-W highway, for the Transcanada, and the concern is moving people and goods through Calgary, to continue along the TCH on the other end, then there is absolutely no need for more than a single detour.

Flickr

Last edited by Boris2k7; Mar 18, 2008 at 8:47 AM.