View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 7:36 PM

Priorities - budgetary constraints, but container ships...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
Yep oh well its something a few people will care about in the next few years it seems...
I think a lot people do, will & should care about the decrepit/obsolete PABT.

Regarding PANYNJ PRIORITIES, the Bayonne Bridge Deck raising is budgeted at ~$750M.

The PANYNJ lists the follwing benefits for this $750M project:

Quote:
Benefits to our Region

“Raise the Roadway” has significant long-term benefits:

Larger, more efficient ships calling on our ports will mean cleaner air for our neighbors.
Wider lanes, shoulders and median dividers will make the bridge safer for drivers.
A bikeway and walkway the entire length of the bridge will make traveling the bridge easier for all of us.
Stairs will be replaced with access ramps.
New piers, a new roadway deck and new approach roads will ensure the bridge will be built to last for generations.
The design allows for future mass transit service.
AFAIK, the PANYNJ's Bayonne Bridge was in no danger of collapse, though it is a very old bridge.

WRT "The design allows for future mass transit service." - OK. Are there any PLANS to run mass transit (I assume light rail) between the two states over the Bayonne Bridge??? I assume further that the light rail would be NJ Transits' Hudson-Bergen Light Rail. See my earlier comments egarding NJTransit's political appointees and the results.
AND, the smaller, less efficient, container ships will still bring foreign goods to the Port of Newark because that's where the NYC metropolitan area is. I don't think we EXPORT much besides scrap metal from NYC ports...

Balance that against a functionally obsolete PABT (mass transit-bus, since 1950) that sees 225K? passengers per workday.
Quote:
"The terminal is the largest in the United States and the busiest in the world by volume of traffic,[2]"
"The terminal has reached peak hour capacity, leading to congestion and overflow on local streets. As it does not allow for layover parking, buses are required to use local streets or lots, or return through the tunnel empty. The PANYNJ has been unsuccessful in its attempts to expand passenger facilities through public private partnership and in 2011 delayed construction of a bus depot annex citing budgetary constraints. In June 2013, it commissioned an 18-month study that will consider reconfiguration, expansion, and replacement options.[6]
Note that the new shiny towers of Hudson Yards (and adjacent development) a-building will have to impact the PABT: layover "buses are required to use local streets or lots"
-wikipedia