View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 2:31 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Key Queens councilman opposes mega-towers near Sunnyside Yards

Jimmy Van Bramer, who serves Western Queens, says his constituents don't want a 50-story building as part of de Blasio's proposed plan to redevelop the rail yard

Quote:
Jimmy Van Bramer is the city councilman for the 26th District, serving Long Island City,Astoria, Sunnyside and Woodside. As the majority leader of the council, Van Bramer is the second-highest-ranking member behind the speaker. He is also a key member of the council’s budget negotiating team, which advocates for its funding agenda.

The city is planning to rezone LIC. What's the plan?

Long Island City is the epicenter of growth in Queens, and the administration sees an opportunity. Rather than one-off developments and individual variance requests, the idea is to bring in parts of Northern Boulevard, Queens Plaza and all of Jackson Avenue and some adjoining streets, and have a master plan.

How many units altogether could be built as a result of the rezoning?

Thousands of units of additional housing, and if you allow for 25% to 30% to be affordable, you’re talking about a significant number.

What is the timing?

By mid- to late 2016, they will move to certify. They have to get East New York’s rezoning out of the way, and then Long Island City is next.

What's been the response from your constituents?

People are terrified that we would see 50-story mega-towers dwarfing these low-rise communities. I agree with them on that. I need to have reassurance we’ll never have 40- or 50-story towers anywhere near the Astoria and Sunnyside portions of the yards. It’s also hard to imagine Western Queens’ taking in the number of additional units that would be needed to make the Sunnyside Yards financially feasible. I have doubts about the endeavor.

Tishman Speyer is building three Long Island City towers using 421-a benefits, but providing no affordable housing because of a quirk in the old 421-a plan. Does that frustrate you?

Look, the quirks in the previous legislation in Albany are frustrating. Rob Speyer and Tishman Speyer are folks who have done good things. I appreciate that. On the one remaining lot that they own—the Gotham site adjoining the Department of Health building—they’ll build affordable housing. I have met with Rob, and I am hopeful that we can work that out with them.

Who pays?

The mayor put aside $1 billion for infrastructure improvements for the neighborhoods that will be rezoned. Mayor Bill de Blasio suggested the city should develop thousands of residential units over Sunnyside Yards.

Would you like to become speaker of the council?

You can’t be in leadership or the majority leader without having an interest in the speaker’s role. I look forward to hopefully being re-elected to the City Council for another four years in 2017, and then we’ll see what happens.
==========================
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...unnyside-yards