View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 4:40 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
Big news to report on SSP this week! We could soon have several new projects to follow on this thread! Two possible adaptive-reuse projects and two or more possible new-construction projects.

500 West Fifth Street: New To This Thread! #CityOfAdaptiveReuse
Brokerage CRBE said they are evaluating offers, by several regional developers, for the 21-storey former Integon Life Insurance Headquarters and the former Security Life & Trust Building. Together, the two buildings have around 520,000 square feet of space. Some sources say the two buildings are around 600,000 square feet? All of the tenants moved to other buildings in the city last month, to make way for a new owner and a major renovation. The adaptive reuse projects proposed by these developers are expected to cost between $50 to $100 million and include mixes of office, retail, and residential. Some are also proposing new construction, which I'm guessing is for the southern end of the former Security Life & Trust Building? None of the developers making offers were named. The 180,000 square foot Security Life & Trust Building was built in 1951 and will likely be demolished or reclad in glass? If you see it, you'll know why! Someone completely gutted it to the frame and reclad the Modernist structure in the 1960s, to give it an International-Style appearance, removing nearly all of the windows. The 21-storey Integon Life Tower was built in 1980 and has a beautiful wall of windows, offering a dramatic view of the Sauratown Mountains. This building was designed at the peak of the 1970s Energy Crisis, by the famous Los Angeles architectural firm Welton Becket, as the first smart building. This building was also designed around the movement of the sun. All of this was used to reduce energy usage. It was "green" before green was cool and was in several industry magazines of the day, as the future of highrise construction. It should make an amazing apartment tower! The angled sections on the glass wall also create multiple balconies. The largest of these balconies is perfect for a top-floor swimming-pool and bar.

Former Integon Life Insurance Headquarters:

Credit: Emily Poe-Crawford

612 West Fourth Street: New To This Thread!
2.15 acres, at the corner of West Fourth and Poplar streets, where Winston-Salem's popular Restaurant Row meets The Theatre District, was reported as under-contract and set to close within two or three days! It should be interesting to see what this developer proposes! Fourth and Trade streets are the most popular streets and this property is right at a proposed streetcar stop, across from a proposed hotel and artist lofts project.

The Village Lofts:
A model apartment is now open at The Village Lofts, above the future Mast General Store. These 48 micro-apartments will be ready for move-in by November 14th.

Credit: The Village Lofts

Flywheel Co-work:
Have you seen Flywheel's new neon sign? It was installed a week ago.

Credit: Flywheel Co-work

Link Apartments:
These are awesome and leasing fast! If you're looking for an apartment, be sure to visit The Link.

1-877-844-0001
linkbrookstown.com
info@linkbrookstown.com

This is the Cyber Café:

Credit: Link Apartments

Ashley Complex: BUILT!
This 1.1 million square foot project is now completed! Expect to see hundreds of new jobs! The official grand opening is October 17, at 2 p.m.,. Still, no word on if they will move their Fortune 500 headquarters to Winston-Salem, as was rumored when this project was first announced. I think the CEO may have started that rumor himself?

Plant 64 Lofts:

Credit: Plant 64 Lofts

Another Tech Company Moves Downtown:
Tech company Dynamic Quest has moved into larger space in downtown Winston-Salem's Winston Tower, to be a part of downtown's excitement and to further support their growth.

Semans Arts Library:
This should be completed soon? This is one of my favorite construction projects in Winston-Salem to follow!

Credit: Zachary Hagerty

525@Vine:
525@Vine won a 2014 USGBC NC Sustainable Business Award for its developer BioMed Realty Trust. "BioMed Realty’s goal is to provide the best spaces for their tenants that include beauty and functionality. The historic nature of the building and the extensive demolition that needed to be performed created challenges and opportunities for the project. The design team developed an energy efficient lighting system and increased the efficiency of the HVAC system. Other sustainable elements incorporated into the project included the finishes and flooring (which all meet VOC requirements), use of regional and recycled materials, and maintain 75% of the building's structure."

I took several videos of 525@Vine in July 2013, as workers finished interior demolition. That was before this thread was started, so they were never posted on SSP. I thought I would post them now, to show the work described above.

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

414 Northwest:
This is the construction site seen at the bottom of this thread's June 10 post.

Credit: West & Stem

Bicycle & Pedestrian Infrastructure:

Bike & Pedestrian Infrastructure Usage:
Sensors on Fourth Street are collecting information about how people use the city's bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure. The data collected will be shared, so informed decisions can be made about cycling infrastructure in the city. Fourth Street will have two types of counters, manufactured by Eco-Counter. ZELT inductive loops for monitoring cyclists in each direction and a Pyroelectric sensor that uses an infrared detection zone to count pedestrians.

Google Pedestrian View?
Google is updating their pedestrian and bicycle views for Winston-Salem. I'll check the maps for this update!

Credit: Ken Bennett

Placemaking:

Winston-Salem's Custom Bicycles:
Winston-Salem has a very impressive custom bicycle scene. I notice it on my trips there. I found this one on a recent search for updates. How do you ride that?

Source

Oktoberfest:
I apologize for not reminding everyone of Winston-Salem's multiple Oktoberfest celebrations. I found a great photograph of an Oktoberfest celebration on Burke Street, which is a street we rarely show on this thread!

Credit: Reid Hensley

Last edited by Matthew; Oct 7, 2014 at 4:52 AM.