View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 11:52 PM

I guess this needs to be posted again:

You have to remember that lots of jobs (such as construction and other contractors) do not allow someone to use public transit to go back and forth for many reasons: The amount of equipment that needs to come with, the randomness of job sites, the need to go to many places in one day often spanning many different communities, etc... Even in Japan the majority of construction, gardening and other contractors drive trucks (although smaller trucks that I wish we had here) and use the freeways frequently to get to many spots in one day. This is not even talking about shipping (stores need to get their goods somehow!)

far to many people here seem to think everyone's lives are simply and they have only 1 or 2 office/school destinations per work day. The reality is many people have 3 to 7 or even more destinations in the work day, and often need to be picking up and delivering goods or bringing equipment with them.

I work in the video industry and often have to go to random places in the lower mainland (often several in one day) with equipment and no form of public transit can serve that, Also I work alongside many in the construction industry and see all the junk they have to bring and all the daily trips they have to take (whether it be picking up wood, cement bags, driving to different sites for inspections, etc...).

I feel we have a very narrow group of professions on this forum (many being students and many others in offices or very confined working spacial patterns).

And trust me, when i can take transit i do, such as taking the WCE the other month for a few weeks, but often I have to drive.