View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 10:14 PM

Excellent point, Hayward. It seems true that while technology can help us innovate in terms of design and planning, half the time it just leads to some dreamlike idea that doesn't inform any actual construction. I like looking at designs to a point as much as anybody, but I've always been interested in more interested in construction and this, unfortunately, is also something I know the least about in this city. Construction workers are as important as architects, are they not?

Pictures like this are cool to look at in terms of "wow, that would have been cool if that happened," and you can look up the history of where a lot of these "ideas" never took place, but even that doesn't exactly give you an idea of how that helps the way similar projects are slowed now. I love architects, but looking at blueprints doesn't reassure you that projects are going to happen, if they're just going to run into a brick wall, or that it's just going to be one long delayed process of those in charge getting irritated at every small step along construction that doesn't seem to fit with their master plan, and blowing it off instead of taking a breath and then trying to figure out how they can actually help the construction workers without frustrating them and making them lose enthusiasm for the work in general.

That's ground-level communication though. Those are problems ages-old difficult to solve and can't be helped with any innovations in technology. And construction, again, is equally important to blueprinting.