View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
And as for the food carts, it just goes to show the kinds of things that can happen when you remove the shackles of overbearing bylaws. Remember, those food carts would not have been allowed a few years ago.
The food carts system is still heavily over-regulated. The COV is on pace to add as many carts in five years as Portland added in 2010 alone.

I say open up the process and let the market decide which carts succeed and which fail.

I don't need the COV to force their food preferences on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Guess it depends on which circles you're in, but I concur Vancouver is loaded with small top notch independents. One of the best places to learn about them is Scout Magazine. There are a few events that aren't talked about even on the local foodie blogs such as warehouse iron chef style battles featuring some of Vancouver's top chefs. There are even a few u/g restaurants that consist of showing up at someones house and eating whatever they've arranged and paying them a prixe fixe for the privilege. Vancouver is pretty cool as far as the food scene is concerned.
I agree that Vancouver has lots of good independent restaurants, especially when you throw Asian restaurants in the mix. My concern though, is that a lot of discretionary spending is soaked up by the Earls/Cactus/Joeys/Milestones of the city which I wish was spread around to the independents instead. One doesn't have to look far from the massive rooms that Glowbal Group (Black + Blue, Coast) and Cactus Club have opened in the past few years.