View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 4:21 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
FYI, this would not be the first example of a PA community college adding dorms to their campus. Northampton Community College in Bethlehem, PA has had on-campus housing since 1982. Also, Montgomery County Community College is planning to add dorms:

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...ccc-dorms.html

I agree that it seems like a departure from the mission of a community college, which is to serve the community. I also see why having on-campus housing could benefit CCP. Not only will international students enjoy living on-campus at a cheaper college in Philadelphia, but so will people all across the United States! I would jump at the opportunity to live in a highrise dorm--which will have excellent views of the Philly skyline--with BSL access to Center City at a community college cost.

Regardless, I love the design and added infill! This will be one of the last major parcels to be filled in Callowhill/Spring Garden/Art Museum!
The problem is that the community isn't exactly giving these schools enough cash to meet that goal. I can see the logic here: by courting international students, they can get more money and increase their operating budgets to add other nice things.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)