View Single Post
Old Posted May 18, 2018, 1:21 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
I have to disagree with this one. Not only is it a dynamic, growing industry (one that is essential to Philly’s future), but it is also one of the industries seeing the biggest investment of VC dollars overall. Some of the most ground-breaking research in the area is happening right here. If Philly can tap into this pipeline at the scale of (or approaching the scale of) the SF/NYC/Boston types, SY will rise sooner than later.

Also, what would be a “cool” industry? Is the giant innovation center that hovers over the city not good enough?
Big IFs in the above. And, our VC dollars pale in comparision to the other cities you mentioned, but we made some improvements, but can't really compete with the big boys yet. Something major has to change for that dynamic to shift into Philly's favor. All I'm saying is that our huge workforce numbers are in educations (professors, assistants, teaching aides, support staff, etc), realizing there are university researchers in that mix getting medical and science studies published and peer-reviewed, and medicine, a la those who provide medical services to the ill and sick (e.g., immediate or chronic disease treatments, etc....think hospitals, health systems, urgent care centers).

I just like to see huge numbers in terms of workforce in say technology and engineering (from design to full scale production). "Cool" would be that we design and build stuff that the masses can use. The "giant innovation center" is a start and a great marketing tool, but it hasn't reach a critical level and mass where people think of Philly as innovating everyday common but high tech products we find in our household or see in services we use.

Your thoughts?