View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Flannel was probably popular with loggers back in the day. Then musicians from logging towns (Kurt Cobain etc.) bought them at second-hand stores, and flannel briefly became a "thing" in the early 90s. It's seen in Seattle, but not much. Hikers wear performance fabrics.

The McDonald's reference is an odd one for Seattle, even if pointed at Starbucks. One of Seattle's defining features is a lack of fast food in core districts. Greater Downtown has four(?) McDon'ts, but I don't recall a burger king, wendy's, taco bell, etc., in any part of the core. What counts as fast food here are more about coffee shops ("independent" would be the larger than any brand), teriyaki places (all independent), Mexican like Taco Del Mar, a growing wave of poke places, pho...
There aren't many traditional fast food restaurants in any major downtown I have been to. They tend to be slightly higher end, fast-casual types of places. I can think of maybe 4-5 McDonald's restaurants in the Loop. There was a Wendy's, but it closed. No Taco Bells. No Burger King's that I can think of. A few 7/11's, but that's not really a fast food restaurant. A large part of this is likely due to lack of drive-thrus. These companies depend on quick turnover. Not many people are so high on McDonald's or Burger King that they're willing to stand in line for 10+ minutes. They'd rather spend an extra 5 or so minutes waiting for higher quality food that isn't much more expensive if we're being honest.