View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 9:21 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Don't they ? Or are some lives worth less because they're the wrong religion, race, or culture? Maybe they have the wrong job? People getting upset about saying that yes, in fact, all lives DO matter is the kind of intolerance we can do without. I wouldn't say that your life doesn't matter. Why would you think that you should say that to somebody else?
Much the same here. For similar reasons (the massive complexity of human existence and cultural being) there is no equivalence between "black lives matter," and "all lives matter." Those of you who think "all lives matter" is a clever counterpoint are just being sucked in by a little bit of similarity between two phrases.

For crying out loud, try to think a little deeper. The "all lives matter" expression is an intellectual embarrassment. You are hood-winking yourselves.

_

So, before you go off on a tantrum: of course ALL LIVES MATTER! No one is actually against this. Those that appear to be against this are just trying to hold to the meaning that is embodied by (and I will abstract it to make the point): THE LIVES OF THOSE FACING PERSECUTION AND PREJUDICIAL HARM AT THE HANDS OF OTHERS, ESPECIALLY THE AUTHORITIES . . . MATTER. And to keep it clear for you, "matter" means "needs attention until racial unfairness is more or less (nothing is ever perfect) dismantled.

The "black" part, of course, refers to black people, their troubles and their horrible history since being hunted in West Africa and beyond. Black people, feeling under threat, feeling and living the lack of equality you are spouting . . . black people are who started this movement. Why are you offended by the catch phrase they chose (under circumstances neither you or I will ever really know, feel, or understand)?

And, again, to stem any revolt, "Black lives matter" was coined, no doubt with some regret, as a catchphrase to publicize a movement and its issues. I suggest you ponder some of our world's nastier problems concerning race, and get of the literalistic soapbox. (and yes, that's not a word.)

There is nothing hipster here: this is the civil rights movement telling everyone that bthe project isn't finished. That's all. Surely you can acknowledge that much. And if you can, what do you gain by saying the what you do.

Last edited by Marshal; Feb 13, 2017 at 9:44 AM.