View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The middle (Neptune/"Ford") building is interesting. It does not have a storefront because it was built as a house in 1821, back before Barrington was a major commercial street. In some ways I think it would have been better if these had been replaced by a larger building, like the former Eaton's building for example, but they are still interesting architecturally.

I think we'll see a "night and day" difference along this stretch of Barrington over the next couple of years, partly because of what's happening on the street but also partly because of what's happening a couple of blocks away. The Nova Centre will be about 100 paces from Barrington and Sackville, and the Southwest apartment building will have hundreds of residents who would be well-served by businesses along Barrington.
It will really be interesting to see this stretch in the next 5-10 years. I think Someone123 is right and more so, this may become one of the best examples of change (Spring Garden Road, IMO being the best example).

I've also noticed that the recent CH article on the businesses closing down on Barrington wasn't the typical doom and gloom of downtown. It was more along the lines of - this is the cycle of business, but new businesses will open up and more people are coming. That to me, shows a sign of shifting attitudes.