View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 12:33 PM

SC Johnson opens Chicago HQ after Emanuel suggested move

SC Johnson Chief Executive Fisk Johnson recalled the time about four years ago when he crossed paths with Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel.

"If memory serves me correctly, we weren't but just a few minutes into our conversation when he was suggesting that we move some jobs to Chicago," the Racine, Wis., executive recalled Thursday. "It caught me a little off guard because my family and our company love our home city of Racine, and we have very deep roots there, so it was a little bit of an eye opener for that as a conversation starter."

Four years after Emanuel planted the seed of the idea with the head of the fifth-generation, family-led business, SC Johnson officially opened its new North American regional headquarters in downtown Chicago on Thursday.

"We already had a lot of SC Johnson people already commuting all the way up to Racine every day" from the Chicago area, Johnson said at the opening of the Chicago headquarters Thursday. And "as our management team thought about it, there's an incredible wealth of talent in" Chicago, "and we felt it could open up new horizons for our company."

About 175 workers are moving from Racine, Wis., to leased space in 550 W. Washington St.

Article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...014-story.html