View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avanine-Commuter View Post
The reason why Phil got on your case is because your first post is unclear. You basically said NOTHING is comparable to NY+Chicago, and you did not state ANY evidence about individual skyscraper quality being the reason behind your love for their skylines; the reasons for NY+Chicago being better than HK's were not stated...

Where is the mentioning of "beauty,...,architectural diversity that spans through the history of skyscrapers, and so many architectural gems found no where on earth."? This was stated by Wrabbit AFTER your post, which had nothing on the quality of the skyscrapers but rather claiming the skylines to be #1 based on SIZE.

If you look at my first post that I quoted you on, I was clearly not offended by your choice of NY+Chicago over HK. I stated my opinion afterward, and I rebutted some of your arguments about the skylines. Nothing to do with being angry at dissenting opinions.

I can understand why he would think you were being America-centric and chauvinist. When I read your first post, I was slightly taken back by how hostile you sounded; the tone of your post was extremely harsh and pretentious... "bar none", "doesn't really matter", "all others are poor substitutes at best". Way to condemn HK, and without a strong argument to boot! Maybe you should rethink the way you share your opinions?
Exactly, in my opinion, nothing IS comparable to NYC and Chicago. That's a completely clear statement. This is a stupid, entirely opinion-based thread topic which cannot be quantified in any way... no one has to justify their opinions with any "evidence". I only responded to your post initially since it somehow assumed that my sarcasm was proof for Phil being correct about my American "chauvinism". My last post was not aimed at you really anyway and I was aware of your original post.

I could not care less if this Phil McAvity character on skyscraperpage thinks I'm blinded by any such pro-America delusions. I was laughing at the suggestion and decided to respond sarcastically to his crap, just for fun. It's ridiculous that some on here get all worked up over what other people's favorite skylines are, regardless of the tone in which the message is delivered. If I feel that NYC and Chicago are far and away the top skylines, so what? Really now, if anyone would actually be offended because I said that "after NYC and Chicago, it doesn't matter who's next", NYC and Chicago "bar none", and "all other skylines are poor substitutes at best", then that is absolutely pitiful. It's an opinion and if it sounded harsh, pretentious, etc., sorry, but I've gone past the point of caring on this forum sometime in 2006 or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avanine-Commuter View Post
PJ's opinion is fine had he presented it effectively. If you are going to make a controversial statement (he claimed NY + Chicago = the only two skylines that mattered in the WORLD...) then at least back it up with good evidence/reasoning of why you hold that opinion. He didn't. He basically dissed all the other cities and just said, "Yeah, it's my opinion that NY+Chicago is all that matters". Hostile? Yes. I got the same feeling from his post as Phil did.

That said, I still love NY and Chicago's skylines. See my list? #2 and #3. No one is saying they are bad, but I at least stated my reasons for why I liked HK better whereas PJ's "reasons" were posted by Wrabbit after the fact.
Like I said above, it's an opinion thread and evidence/reasoning really aren't required since the parameters for what someone likes can't be quantified in any way. I did give some reasoning for my opinion in my original post, and that's more than was necessary anyway. Stratosphere summed things up quite well for me when he seconded my opinion and said "often imitated, never duplicated" in referring to NYC and Chicago right after my post... and I didn't feel the need to say any more on the matter because... once again, it's an opinion thread... and an opinion that I posted 3 weeks ago, no less.