View Single Post
Old Posted May 1, 2008, 10:46 AM
Closed account

CFL Draft - Ti-Cats Draft 2 Best Players?

Hamilton Tiger-Cats general manager Bob O'Billovich is a happy man. On Wednesday, he got the players he wanted by selecting defensive back Dylan Barker with the first pick in the CFL Canadian Draft, and later using the eighth pick to take explosive receiver Samuel Giguere.

"We like those two players," O'Billovich told TSN. "We thought they were the top two players in the draft. We have to wait on Giguere because of the situation with the NFL, but that's all right. As far as Dylan is concerned, he could be playing for a long time in this leage... He's one of the better athletes at that position I have seen in a long time."

Barker was happy, too.

"I'm absolutely thrilled to be a Ticat," Dylan told TSN. "I think I bring special teams capability right away ... Hopefully we can move on up fromt there."

Barker, a 6-foot-4, 200 pound free safety from Moose Jaw, was a star at the University of Saskatchewan. Barker's college coach, Brian Towriss, lauded Hamilton's choice.

"He's not stranger to big games, so that will help him make the move to the CFL," Towriss said. "There are absolutely no red flags with Dylan Barker."

TSN football analyst Duane Forde said Barker is the total package as a defender and a potential ratio-buster.

"Barker is intelligent, fast, and physical and has back-to-back All-Canadian selections to prove that he knows how to use those tools on the football field," Forde said.

Greg Marshall, currently the head coach for the University of Western Ontario and a former Ticats coach, noted that the multi-dimensional Barker might be a good fit at weakside linebacker, too.

The selection of Barker comes a day after the Ticats traded the ninth overall pick in the draft to the B.C. Lions to get defensive back Markeith Knowlton and kicker Ara Tchobanian.

Knowlton was a regular in the Lions secondary last year, recording 45 tackles, five knockdowns and a fumble recovery as well as two sacks in 17 regular season games.

Hamilton took Giguere, an athletic receiver from Sherbrooke, with the eighth pick to complete the first round.

"This is all about potential," said Forde. "This guy is an incredible physical specimen... This guy is a freak, there is no better way to describe him."

Giguere was the star of the CFL Evaluation Camp and earlier this week signed as an undrafted free agent with the Indianapolis Colts of the NFL. There is no guarantee he will make the Colts, and O'Billovich said he'd be happy to wait for Giguere.