View Single Post
Old Posted May 9, 2012, 3:06 AM

A datapoint, I suppose:

I'm 24, have a bachelors degree in geology (graduated last June), and still live with my parents. I definitely can't afford to move out yet. Jobs for new graduate geologists have been surprisingly scarce since graduating, and what I do have doesn't pay very much... think lowest tax bracket. (Incidentally, any people with power looking for a savvy, efficient, works well with others or alone, super computer literate, self-motivating, new-ish geologist well versed in stratigraphy, structure, and sedimentary petrology?! )

I'm really not asking for a lot... just a half-decent 600 square foot one bedroom in the inner city that I own (no renting!) would be great. But, until my pay basically doubles, it's not gonna happen.

I know my parents built our house in 1985 for under $200k. It isn't big at all, but it has beautiful mountain views. The house has most recently been assessed at just under $800k. They owned one house in Calgary prior to this one, and it cost them well under $100k at the time.

So, in terms of housing... yeah, things definitely haven't gotten easier for my generation.

Tuition at the University of Calgary wasn't too bad, though. I might be saying otherwise had I not been lucky enough to have an RESP and lived at home, but at about $2,500 - $3,000 per semester, I don't think it was that high. Though, if that article is to be believed, that's well below average...

We'll see how things go for me. If my employment situation doesn't improve, I can see myself going back to school for a masters degree. Though, if I'm going to do that, I feel like I'd rather just dive head first into pure academia and work on something totally impractical but totally cool and awesome.