View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 22, 2011, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickser View Post
Nygirl oustanding pictures. I am visiting the city for the second time in eight weeks and wanna tour the bronx too. How safe is it and what areas shouldn't i visit?
kickser, I've walked all over the Bronx for the past decade and never had a problem. The golden rule in all five boroughs is simply not to venture into a large housing project after sunset, but even then you are not likely to find trouble unless you are looking for it.

One evening when I first moved to NYC in '99 I was exploring the South Bronx and walked into a situation which frightened me (I'm a very nordic looking white guy). I ventured off Tiebout Ave. down steep stairs into a ravine which happened to be a notorious project. Half way down the stairs I noticed a group of teens and twenty somethings gathered smoking, behind me another group was descending. So I continued descending hoping for the best. Long story short, they were all nice kids. I told them I was a bit lost and a couple of them led me out to where I was headed (Belmont). They even shared a joint with me.

Since that moment I have never been frightened in the Bronx, or NYC in general. I lived in Manhattan at the time and now I've lived in Brooklyn for seven years (and not in wealthy, white areas). I had my apartment robbed once and was mugged another time, both happened on the Upper East Side of Manhattan.

So really it's about common sense and respecting the people in the neighborhoods. 99% of NY'ers are pleasant and helpful, it's the 1% you have to look out for and they can be anywhere from Bernie Madoff to a corrupt cop. That's another story entirely.

Enjoy the Bronx!