View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 9:31 PM

How likely is it for you to encounter people who haven't been to the US?

The US is our large, highly influential neighbour, and while familial ties across the border have definitely waned since World War II, it seems to almost be expected that over the course of a Canadian's life, they'll have visited the US a handful of times for vacation, business, or something else. It seems more common for Canadians to have visited multiple parts of the US than to have been across Canada, as the country not only figures highly in the minds of Canadians as a destination, but it's often cheaper to do so.

Edmonton may be 6 hours from the border, thus negating day trips and cross-border shopping that is apparently a normal behaviour in BC, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec, but Edmontonians regularly fly (or sometimes drive) south. Places such as California, Vegas, Arizona, Seattle, Montana, Texas, South Florida, and New York being the most common, based on my experience.

Based on this experience, although I've now met more than my fair share of those who haven't been to the US in their lives, each time it still sort of catches me off guard (almost as much as those who haven't been to BC). Because of how orientated Canadians are towards the US, including for travel, it always struck me as essentially de rigueur that every Canadian would make it down there at least once. But nope. I've even met those who've been across Canada, and to Europe, before ever setting foot in the States.

I would say for Edmonton, it seems, based on my circles and lived experience, most Edmontonians have been down to the US, and many regularly visit (even in the Trump era), but you still do come across those that haven't now and again. But I'm curious how common this is in other places around the country. Edmonton is 6 hours away from the border, the furthest of the major cities, but do people in Vancouver or Toronto come across the odd person who hasn't been down to Bellingham or Buffalo too, for example?