View Single Post
Old Posted May 25, 2018, 12:38 PM

Downtown Harrisburg seems to have many of the ingredients for a vibrant downtown, but for some reason it's just kinda dead. Been that way for a long time now... too long. Things seem to be improving over the last few years though. I guess it just needs something to really give it a push... maybe the major university expansion can help do that.
  • Large employers (including state government, obviously)
  • Historic/cultural attractions
  • Restaurants/bars/hotels
  • Walkability
  • Beautiful riverfront/recreation
  • Adjacent residential neighborhood with high density and quality housing

Poverty and crime have worked against it... and I'm not sure that the city's demographics are improving from an economic standpoint or not. Vacancy seems to be rather high in some of the older office buildings -- residential conversion could be an answer there.

Also, a better connection with the riverfront is needed. N Front Street is a major physical and psychological barrier to that connection. It needs to be made two-way and needs to be transformed to more of a parkway, rather than a 3-lane highway at street level. And a much ore iconic connection to the riverfront at State Street is a must. I mean, this is pitiful for the street that leads from the river to our Capitol: