View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 5:54 AM

Southern Livin'... I Guess It Ain't So Bad

I've been living in Alabama for the past three years. It feels weird to say that because it's hard to accept living that long in a place you never really cared to live. You can almost see that reflected in the photo threads I've posted on here, because barely any of them are from Alabama or the South in general.

I feel like when I left Florida to move to Portland I turned my back on my own region. After moving back to the South to go to school at the University of Alabama I was forced to seek out all of the positives and redeeming qualities of the South and after awhile I discovered that it's not bad. Even though the South is often looked down upon as being backwards and conservative, I would argue that it can hold it's own with any other region in the country.

As I'm about to graduate from Alabama I wanted to showcase the region in a positive light. With Tuscaloosa as my home base for the past few years I've been in a central location to travel to various parts of the South. What I never realized while I was in Portland is how isolated and homogenous the culture was out west. In the South as you head north towards Louisville the accents and architecture change dramatically and the same happens as you head south to the Gulf Coast. Florida is another world. Atlanta exists in it's own universe within the State of Georgia. Beautiful beaches, history everywhere (both good and bad), mountains, swamps, snow, and overbearing heat and humidity. Everything anyone could possibly want can be found in the South and I hope after viewing the pictures I've taken during my time here, you'll agree.

For graduate school I'm either headed to NYC, Miami, or Seattle. If a miracle happens I might end up in London. Regardless of where I end up, I hope to be able to photograph wherever I end up moving as nicely as I've been able to with the South.

Soundtrack:
Video Link

Tuscaloosa, AL:

Birmingham, AL:

Miscellaneous South:

Cuthbert, GA

Eufaula, AL

I-75 South of Atlanta

Southern Georgia

Mississippi Welcome Center I-20

Southern Poverty Law Center - Montgomery, AL

Jackson, MS

Oxford - Annison, AL

Ethos Vegan Kitchen - Winter Park, FL

Orlando, FL

Jasper, GA

Jasper, GA

Jasper, GA

Greene County, AL

Eufaula, AL

Gulf Coast:

Nashville:

Louisville:

Atlanta:

South Florida:

I hope no one had trouble viewing these, I thought I posted a lot but since they're not very large in size I figured it wouldn't be that hard to load.