View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post
A few photos of the Tujunga area courtesy CSUN library...

Commerce St., Tujunga...1950

And today's GSV:

I think I have this identified correctly...the bakery and drug store building have been demolished.

Between the date of the GSV and March 25 2018, Commerce Avenue has gained some faux-historic street lights. Note the buildings in the background!

Although the street light looks a lot like the typical Union Metal Twins found all over L.A., the combination of the arms, base, and collar surrounding the shaft just above the base means this is the Union Metal model #2779. Per the Union Metal records, none were ever shipped to Los Angeles during the "classic" period of 1906-1930.

UM 2779 originals CAN be found in Downtown Portland OR. Six of the Portland poles made their way to Urban Light. The "Portland" poles are in the center of my 10-07-16 shot. Note the similarity to the "Metropolitan" poles on the left and the "Pacific" poles on the right. Both of those are still easy to find in L.A.

It's the detail in the collar above the base that tells us that the Commerce Avenue reproductions are based on the exotic Portland street lights. A true Metropolitan would have a "bow-tie" detail in that collar. The Portland/Commerce street lights display cabochons instead.

Again at Urban Light. Metropolitans with their "bow-ties" on the left, and Portland/Commerce UM 2779 with the cabochons in the center row. Pacific on the right. My photo 11-20-17.

Phew! To attempt to bring this back to topic, I'll just say that I found the exotic "Portland" design an unusual choice for the Commerce Avenue reproductions. My photo: 03-25-18.

Last edited by acorn8332; Jul 18, 2018 at 2:55 AM. Reason: Oops! It's Commerce AVENUE, not Commerce Street.