View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 6:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It is a strange article, and surprisingly poor for something published by the CBC.

I think they are talking about non-residential building permits. These values are highly volatile because big projects tend to be reported once and go on for many years (though some do have multiple permits).

It's not a "hub" ranking and the wording about "dispatching" Saint John and so on is bizarre. They should have stuck to reporting about the facts.
I have no comment regarding the reporting style or quality of the correspondent. Curiously, Robert Jones is a CBC reporter based in Saint John, not in Moncton.

This tweet (below) probably indicates what Mr. Jones means about "dispatching" Saint John. He may be trying to poke the bear in the eye with his recent articles. Curiously, the comment section for this CBC article is open, showing a lot of outrage emanating from the port city. There's a lot of bitterness and envy in Saint John regarding Moncton and a deep seated suspicion in the port city that Moncton has been receiving preferential treatment from the provincial government. This anger in Saint John is often self destructive.

Non residential construction in Moncton has bested that in Saint John for the last 29 quarters in a row. That's over seven years!!! Since I have lived in Moncton (28 years), the population of the metro area has increased to over 150,000 from around 100,000. Meanwhile in Saint John, the population has barely budged during the same time frame and languishes between 125-130,000. Even worse, the province's third city (Fredericton) is also growing fast and is now nearing 110,000. There is a real danger than in the next 15-20 years, Saint John might end up being NB's third largest city........

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jul 18, 2017 at 6:52 PM.