Thread: Gordo is gone!
View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 12:28 PM
Ack Thptf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
Woah!

May, 2013 is the last date that an election may be held in BC in the next go around. But the relevant statute does not prevent an earlier election date due to unforseen circumstances such as a new premier wishing to seek a new mandate. That relates to the "early dissolution" of Parliament. It only took the regular "surprise" election date away from the politicians.

Vaughn Palmer has already reviewed the relevant statute, had that interpretation independently confirmed, and has written about it.

I admit, most people get the absolutely "fixed" election date in their mind through the MSM, myself included.
Well... if we're going by the old Westminister rules, then they can govern for five years, pushing the election to May 2014.

Technically...the laws says they can only sit for five years, but have a year to call a new election, pushing the election to May 2015.

Traditionally...the British parliament of 1935 used the excuse of a global war to extend their mandate to 1945. If Christie can somehow manage to get BC into a war with Mongolia she might be able to extend her rule indefinitely.

Seriously...I suppose I answered my own question with this quote from Wikipedia:

The 40th British Columbia general election, barring the possibility of a motion of no confidence, war, or an early dissolution of parliament, will occur on May 14, 2013

Having a majority in the legislature, I don't see how the Lieutenant-Governor could refuse her request for an early dissolution.

It seems weird that you might have an election only two years after the last one, despite having a fixed date election "law".