View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 7, 2007, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Poor economic conditions (note that its the purely manufacturing oriented cities that have suffered the most.. an obsolete industry) are more likely, as no one will move where there is no work. Also, I'm sure for many, the decay and crime is a bit of a turn off.

And climate wise.. why so much growth in Atlanta and Houston, compared to say, Miami or San Francisco? These places seem to have much more desirable weather...

I don't know how Canada compares to just the Sunbelt, but it is one of the fastest growing (or it may be the fastest) of the industrialized nations, moreso than the US at least.

And as for China - it has a similar climate range to the US (actually, much more extreme, but whatever), and all the cities are booming economically, so growth population-wise seems to be following suit.

Actually - Alberta is the fastest growing province, per capita wise, but still colder than Souther BC, Ontario, Quebec, and the Maritimes. And well, the rest of the country is pretty much tundra haha.
America's population is growing more quickly than Canada's on a percentage basis.

https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications...k/geos/ca.html
https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications...k/geos/us.html

The sunbelt is certainly growing faster than just about anywhere in Canada.

Not all the cities in China are booming equally. It's those relatively near the coast, and more convenient for shifting exports out of the country, that are growing more quickly.

Growth is a combination of many things. In the American sunbelt, climate appears to be one of them. The SF Bay Area and Miami are in fact part of the sunbelt, and were growing like crazy until they were effectively built out not too long ago. Read some statistics from the 1980s. The crazy growth was even then in the sunbelt, but the sunbelt being in California.

Alberta is growing because it's Canada's Saudi Arabia. Lots of natural resources. When did I ever say that growth was only because of the weather? I'm just saying that if weather had nothing to do with growth in the American context, then why is the sunbelt growing and not the rustbelt? What kind of economic base does Phoenix have? Why is it's economy more healthy than modern day Cleveland's? Sure, Cleveland lost a lot of manufacturing industries. But Phoenix never had much in the first place.