View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 2:27 AM

I truly worry about a botch up of implementation of LRT which will result in a loss of ridership and slower travel times. The amount of transit disruption is going to be incredible. Just remember all the bellyaching about disruption to 10,000 passengers on the O-Train line for 3 years. Now we are expecting a similar 3 year disruption for what, 200,000 passengers and not a whimper of concern.

I went to the Ottawa light rail website and noted that LRT will be as much as 44 metres underground or 143 feet. This is even more than I was aware of. For our very first tunnel, this is outrageously deep.

Of further interest, Edmonton City Council approved a surface downtown LRT connector on June 21st. Interesting to all those who say that surface LRT would be a waste of money and even ruin downtown Ottawa. What is interesting is how Ottawa's tunnel plan actually eliminates surface downtown transit connections which may preclude a surface downtown LRT connector in the future. I have said this all along that this is a foolish choice and we will regret it.

Concerning what Toronto did in 1954 with its first subway, just remember that this was largely before suburban sprawl and Toronto was a much more compact city than Ottawa is today. I will further point out that this subway followed Yonge Street, where people actually live and do business. Much of our plan follows the Queensway where most developement backs away from.

Last edited by lrt's friend; Aug 30, 2010 at 2:44 AM.