View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 12:08 PM

LRT/Suzie.

Thanks for the great points. I'm no civil engineer, so what I say is mainly based upon what I see. The "Express" service is one of the main contributors to Ottawa's relatively high public Transit usage. We are going to ask riders to make 1-2 transfers whereas today they need not make any. How will this impact ridership?

Also, during the 3 years of construction, the transitway as we know if will be closed. How many people will endure this? How many people will find alternate ways of commuting and never come back, especially when the new service will be inferior to the existing Express Service?

This fascination with Trains is all about trying to make Ottawa into a big city (yeah, we got a subway too syndrome!!). Not sure it is going to be relevant in the not too distant future anyway, how and where we work will evolve. I, like a growing minority of people in this city, have the option to work from Home, this will continue to grow (along with flex hours etc..) Governments are laggards when it comes to this policy, but they'll catch up someday.