View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiesthelimit View Post
Since we're discussing Wilmington, I have a question that I've been trying to answer/imagine myself but I'm having a hard time doing so...

Does anyone else think it's almost impossible for Wilmington to ever become a major city because of current infrastructure (like the way the streets are networked, how neighborhoods are currently aligned, 95 splitting the city on one side, 495 on the other)?
If you ask me, I say it's possible that wilmington could grow, and it looks like that they are trying to make it grow by filling in the deadzones and like many people say, it will help increase the possibility for building towers in the near future.

[/QUOTE=skiesthelimit;7550866]And how does a small city evolve into a modern day major city naturally, and not fabricated like in the middle east?[/QUOTE]

I bet its possible, but unlikely any time soon. 25 miles north is already a popular big city with its own intl airport and subway systems and news network that I guess right not it makes sense for Wilmington to rely on Philly for those reasons considering that its so close. I would love it for Wilmington to become a large popular city but it doesn't look like it will be anytime soon. The good news is like I said, the deadzones being filled will increase probability on things like towers and for Wilmington to just grow population wise.

[/QUOTE=skiesthelimit;7550866]I'm having a hard time imagining the city ever investing or having the ability to make a subway, at most they could reinvest light rail and revive the trolley (something they should have never done away with imo).[/QUOTE]

I don't think wilmington really needs a subway nowhere near as much as skyscrapers, deadzones to be filled, population increase, crime reduction, etc plus also, Wilmington is too small in my opinion to really need a subway. I would think it would be neat but I don't think Wilmington is there yet.

[/QUOTE=skiesthelimit;7550866]EDIT: Also, I was reading today, and found out that at one point Wilmington had over 100k? What occurred?[/QUOTE]

I bet you I can answer this question, if not get close to the answer. Wilmington was once a big settlement with tons of companies (both national and international) moving in and skyscraper booms happening and Wilmington was becoming a popular small city. Then came the crime, Companies have moved out (Including Dupont), people didn't want to live in major crime cities, development has stopped for a while and thats why I think the population went from 100k to 70k.

But Wilmington has gotten back together since 2011. Deadzones began to fill up, abandoned buildings were renovated and converted into apartments/condos, The riverfront boasted tons of new attractions, and the population is slowly increasing and crime is slowly reducing. And now colonial parking renders skyscrapers in some of their deadzone parking areas.

I think that by 2025 with the way Wilmington is now, Wilmington might make it back to 100k and even more possibly by then.

I'm sorry if some of my answers were incorrect, I just guessed for the most part based off of my knowledge. Hope this helps.