View Single Post
Old Posted May 12, 2009, 1:57 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
No doubt geography and the cost of petrol () had alot to do with those choices. Is that why you moved to the Hammer? So you could be somewhere so far behind that you're ahead?
Nope, I moved here because all the signs are that it's an "up and coming" city, ripe for improvement and redevelopment. I want to ride the wave, rather than have missed it!!

I did it before. Walthamstow was dirt cheap and everyone said it was a crap area to be in. Two years after I moved there it suddenly was an "up and coming" area after professional people began to move north, as Islington and Angel got too expensive and the areas of Seven Sisters and Tottenham were still considered too grotty to invest in. Four years later, it was a property hotspot, when people realised the property was underpriced and that the "village" area of Walthamstow was actually quite charming. A decade later, the property I bought is still worth, even after the property price crash, nearly four times what I paid for it originally. That said I never planned to live there so long. A move to another country was always on my "life map" and I've been in "Canadian Limbo" for the last 2 and a half years. Once the recession starts to lift, I can sell up in the UK and establish myself more here.

In many ways I'm much happier with the decision to move to Hamilton rather than Vancouver. The only thing I may miss out on is the lack of a large "community" network, but I'll survive I'm sure.

Last edited by omro; May 12, 2009 at 2:34 PM.