View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daguy View Post
I can't remember where I saw it (so if anyone knows maybe post) but I recall there was a proposal to reconnect one or some of the local streets between Beresford and Central Boulevard around Metrotown Station, in order to facilitate the gentrification of the area south of Metrotown.

It would be great if this development goes forward, that area is one of the most run down in Burnaby, and it should lead to the whole area being redeveloped.
It's mostly apartments around there. That would be a lot of evictions to dish out on lower income people. I mean, the people who work in the malls and coffee shops all over Vancouver have to live somewhere.

Where this tower is going up is a commercial property along with 2 SFH properties (owned by the city I think). And in the render, there is another tower a few blocks away, where currently there are about 7 dilapidated SFH and a corner store. The rest of the apartment buildings probably aren't going anywhere until they are condemned.

However, the block where this is being built is basically the border between the nicer and uglier buildings. To the West it's actually fairly nice considering they are rental apartments, to the East those places are probably closer to falling apart on their own. But still, that's a lot of people to evict, mostly immigrants, which doesn't play well in the press.