View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 6:21 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Suburban road network means a strong heirarchy of streets. Wide highways and boulevards contrasted with very small streets. "Dispersed road network" doesn't mean anything. "Dispersed" means lower density. You are saying Mississauga has a lower density of roads? Doesn't make sense. I thought it was the opposite.

Mississauga's road network is suburban because of its strong heirarchy, not because of "dispersal".

New Westminster is mostly pre-war. Overall, it's older than the City of Toronto. It's an extension of the inner city. Like if Yorkville separated from Toronto, it would be most urban suburban municipality. So what?
I was actually gonna originally bring up road hierarchies but decided against them, because Richmond and Surrey both have them and in my opinion they are more urban than Mississauga.

What I meant by "dispersed streets" (admittedly not the best wording), is that major arterials in Mississauga are far away from each other. Take Hurontario for example. The major arterials it crosses - Queensway, Dundas, Central Parkway, Burnhamthorpe, etc.) are farther away from each other than the arterials in places like Richmond or Surrey, which both have their arterials laid out every 800 metres. To me, this tighter arterial layout is more urban.

Also, Vancouver suburbs have houses fronting their arterials. In places like Mississauga, they look like highways, with houses turned away from them. Also very important. On the street, Mississauga very much feels like a typical suburb, and very different from low-density Toronto proper. Richmond and Surrey are clearly low density and have curvilinear networks within their arterial grids, but the arterials and their built form barely differ from low-density Vancouver proper.

This: https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.12644...7i13312!8i6656
is more urban than this: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.58886...7i13312!8i6656

Obviously the bar is being set pretty damn low at this point. But I'll add too that it's easier to urbanize the first example rather than the second, due to existing street frontage.

Last edited by GlassCity; Jan 12, 2018 at 6:34 AM.