View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 7:54 PM
She needs her space

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
Chicago is a pretty double edged sword. On the one hand, they are (and have been for years) trying to become a tourist destination with summer home condos.. though those are probably going nowhere (it has been decades since anyone talked about that. They've also got lots of economic support and a larger pool of applicants for jobs simply because of the short commuting times. But, the example you gave is a great example how the relationship between Chicago and Milwaukee also hurts Milwaukee's ego.
Once again very similar to Jacksonville. How do you think Jacksonvillians feel being 2 hours from Orlando, 3 from Tampa, and 4-5 from Palm Beach-Miami? And FL is a low tax, but high growth state. Competing for funding for ports and political power is very difficult. Hell, half of Jax just drives down to Orlando to fly direct rather than connect through a hub.

Though having Miami is a double-edged sword as sooo many south Floridians are leaving the area, and because they would rather stay in FL or go to another low-tax state (TN and NC, called half-backs), Jacksonville sees its largest share of net migration coming from Dade County, followed by Broward County.

Anyway, enough about the comparisons, I just really think the two cities are similar, and treated similarly. Jacksonville's core is nothing compared to Milwaukee's, but its neighborhoods and its vibe are actually incredibly similar. Both cities also have remnants of very old money families and industrial/finance dominated economies. And like I said, in both cities EVERYONE knows everyone, and that is kind of a rare thing nowadays (or maybe I'm just used to living in Atlanta where everyone is kind of just 1 in 6 million anonymous individuals).