“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post
I hate Sacramento.

From the Bee: http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/535261.html

Sac International Airport expansion project challenged by airlines
By Tony Bizjak - tbizjak@sacbee.com
Published 10:45 am PST Saturday, December 1, 2007

Sacramento International Airport's biggest expansion in its history is months away from beginning, but some its biggest clients are questioning its size and cost.

"We have heartburn at trying to build a facility for $1.3 billion," said Gregory Gillis, an executive with Southwest Airlines. "That's a very high price tag."

American and Alaska airlines officials also expressed similar concerns.

But county airports director Hardy Acree says Sacramento's facility needs a major expansion to keep pace with Northern California growth and that airlines benefitting from the increased ridership must pay their fair share.

"From the beginning, we've taken the approach we (will) build what is needed, and the costs are what they are," Acree said.

The county's financing plan will require airlines to pay slightly less than half of the total expansion cost, Acree said. The remainder of the funding will come from passenger fees, parking revenues and other airport rents and fees.

Under federal rules, airports are allowed to set "reasonable" fees on airlines. The airlines can protest those fees with the federal Department of Transportation, federal officials said.

A few comments:

I REALLY hate Sacramento.

Generally I don't pay attention to the average Sacramentan commenting on growth in this region, because most are ignorant simpletons..
Take for instance the moron who says that he doesn't want SMF to grow, because if he forced to stand in line at SMF, he'll just fly out of SFO or Oakland. I have no doubt that there are more than a few people in this town who are so stupid that they would load up their cars, drive 90 minutes (or longer) to the bay and wait in longer lines there in order to make their point (to themselves). As if they're not going to have lines at SFO or Oakland in addtion to the traffic, and brdige tolls etc....As if the expansion isn't about making the airport more user friendly.
But again, it's easy enough to ignore most of these kinds of morons, unless I'm forced to sit by them on the plane.

The airline's late objections are a concern however. My only complaint is why the hell did they wait until months before groundbreaking before raising these objections? Where the f@#* have they been the past four years while this went through the update of the airport master plan, the terminal modernization plan or the enviornmental impact report? For crying out loud even the public comment period has already closed and now they're bitching?

I'm not going to be surprised to see this thing sent back to the drawing boards and delayed another three or four years. The expansion at Oakland airport was scaled back considerably, so it can certainly happen here and now.

Last edited by urban_encounter; Dec 2, 2007 at 4:30 PM.