View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 9:51 PM

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle4577221/

Need to update some info. The three towers are proposed to be 80 stories each. So it will be probably the tallest buildings in Canada but I'm not too sure about supertall size (maybe if floor size is big enough)? Also, he hasn't approached for zoning but has talked to Councillors.

The problem I have with this proposal is that Gehry won't be making many friends by demolishing several antique buildings in the theatre district. However, I'm sure that people would want these towers to be built simply based on how revolutionary these buildings may be. The renderings aren't too exciting but this will definitely some world class architecture and better than the boxes we've seen popping in and out of toronto. Even if the towers aren't supertalls, they are sure to be an example to all other developers. It will show that Toronto isn't just a place to build a quick cheap condo to make a quick buck.

These buildings are on par with the huge (supertall) towers being built in New York, and thats something you can't say about any building in Toronto.

Furthermore, give these guys a chance...they're not just building condos...they are art galleries, its something that comes from his heart, it is Gehry's signature to Toronto.

Though I say all this, in the end I believe this project won't go through... unless its transformed to a hideous, typical condo.

Council won't allow it, and pretentious Torontonians won't allow it.