View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 9:34 PM
Honored Member

Interesting video. Look at the video with the elevated Gardiner Expressway in the background. Downtown Toronto is cut off from the waterfront by highways and industrial buildings. They are talking about having walkways and green spaces by the waterfront with thousands of residential units. Essentially what they are talking about for the Toronto waterfront is what the HRM already has.

I remember reading in a Toronto newspaper a few years ago about a Toronto mayor who went to Halifax and returned to Toronto wondering how Halifax, a city of 500,000 (he exaggerated the population), could have a better waterfront than Toronto. The HRM already has a great waterfront, it doesn't need to be exaggerated by a promotional video. Look at this image below, is it really that much worst than what they are talking about for the Toronto waterfront (it is probably better since it is on a large ocean instead of a large lake)? Take the people who made the Toronto waterfront promotional video and get them to make a promotional video about the Bedford Waterfront proposal and I am sure that it would sound like one of the wonders of the world.

However, I agree, the HRM has some interesting underwater habitats. So now that the harbour has been cleaned up, maybe something interesting could be done - how about a glass tunnel extending into the harbour to see the natural habitat? Halifax has some sunken ships that only deep-water scuba drivers get to see. Is there a way to have a tunnel going deep down into the harbour so that many other people will get to see it (far-fetched but I think that it would be a great attraction, especially if it could extend down 200 feet near the deepest part of the harbour)? Maybe it could be done with underwater cameras projected onto a large screen, if it can't be done physically with tunnels. The live camera feed could be fed to the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic.

(source: http://www.halifax.ca/visionhrm/Bedf...esignStudy.pdf )