Thread: LEGO Skylines
View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 12:25 AM
Is That LEGO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoJim View Post
Spencer,
Great job on both the Aon Center and the Rockefeller Center.
I remember when you showed me the part of your model of the RCA/GE building 2 or 3 years ago! I had been wondering when you would finish it.

By the way, the technique you used on the Aon Center is impressive. A year or two ago I had wanted to use a simpler version of the same idea on a minifig scale model of the One Woodward Ave. (former Consolidated Gas/MichCon designed by Minoru Yamasaki) but could not locate enough of those 1x2 or 1x8 rail plates on Bricklink. Those parts are almost perfect for the Aon.
-Jim
The G.E. Building model was seven years in the making. Here is a photo from one of our train shows back in 2002 where you can see it was partially finished in the lower left. I scrapped that model however due to inaccuracies in its proportions and started from scratch for this one.

The rail plates work well for Aon. In the back of my mind I always saw myself using this technique for that building, but the parts had been somewhat rare and pricey for many years. I used about 1300 of the white 1x2's (or equivalent 1x8's) and they cost me between $0.08 - $0.13 each.

I thought about using this technique when I built my WTC too, but again the parts were too expensive at the time. Now when I compare the Aon and WTC models, I think this technique would be too thick for the WTC columns at the common building scale I use. I would have had to build the WTC at least twice as large as I did.