View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 4:23 PM

Great Pasadena coverage!

I enjoyed the Colorado/Fair Oaks posts, as that location was my vantage point for viewing 3 of the 4 Rose Parades that I attended during the time that I lived in Southern California. Saw the 1977,1979 and 1991 parades there (the location was by virtue of the fact that I rode the RTD 483 from dontown LA to the parade). The other parade I attended (1989), I caught the 485 instead of the 483, so I watched from Lake/Colorado. Of course nowadays, I would take the Metro Gold Line.

The Bullock's Pasadena posts were also of interest to me, as I worked part-time as a Sales Associate at Bullock's for 2 1/2 years in the 80s (supplementing my somewhat meager income at my full-time job at USC). I did not work at the Pasadena store, but worked for a year at the Del Amo store, then a year and a half at Manhattan Beach. Back then, Bullock's assigned store numbers to each store, one or two digits, which I believe were issued in the order that the stores had originally opened. Pasadena was the lowest numbered store in the chain at the time (store 03) (I suspect store 1 was the downtown L. A. store on 7th St, but it had already closed by the time I started working for Bullock's). Del Amo was store 12 (opened 1966), and Manhattan Beach was store 28 (opened 1982).

Anyway, in the summer of 1986, I was on vacation from my USC job, and at that time, I only worked weekends at Bullocks, so I decided to tour as many of the Bullocks stores in the area as I could. I did not have a car at that time, so I was limited to the ones that I could reach by bus (which surpringsly was most of them). I found the Pasadena store to be quite nice inside.