View Single Post
Old Posted May 8, 2014, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafeguy View Post
Looks like Pearl won't be fighting against CCRA. They killed the skyscraper proposal...

“We are now in the process of revisiting alternative development options and approaches for the site.”

http://hiddencityphila.org/2014/05/p...1900-chestnut/

A midrise building in a highrise area which keeps the facade of a historic building that is inappropriately zoned for low density use.... and they still fought it because of parking.
I don't view it that way at all. First, it's clear that CCRA opposed the procedure of circumventing the newly adopted zoning code with special legislation, and not the building design itself:

Quote:
Under the zoning code enacted in August of 2012, a developer wishing to erect a structure which does not conform to the zoning classification must seek a variance from the Zoning Board of Adjustment. Rather than following the provisions of the Code, enacted after 4 years of public discussion in which CCRA and the Crosstown Coalition were major participants, Pearl proposed to bypass the Zoning Code via a City Council ordinance . . . .
[From the CCRA newsletter quoted by sayitaintso and summersm343]

Quote:
Explaining that CCRA’s opposition was strictly procedural—”we do not opine on aesthetics,” he noted—Huntington explained the organization’s process for review. “The developer first meets with a [CCRA] task force. The task force presents to our Zoning Committee, and the Zoning Committee presents to the Board. The board determined that the project, as presented, was not worthy of legislative change.”

Also, I don't interpret the comments of Pearl Properties as necessarily meaning that they are abandoning this design:

Quote:
“We are now in the process of revisiting alternative development options and approaches for the site.”

This could mean that they'll merely decide to proceed with seeking a zoning variance. I really hope that they do, especially given this from the same article:

Quote:
Of the 1900 Chestnut process, Slogoff said, “Over the course of several months of meetings, presentations and concessions, Pearl Properties shared its plans with CCRA, stakeholders, Philadelphia Planning Commission and Council President Clarke. During this process, we received significant excitement and positive feedback, along with support from City Planning for the higher density remapping of this important corner.
As an attorney, that's how I interpret the CCRA's position, i.e., as an objection to the proposed process (avoiding the zoning code procedures), and not an overall objection to the building design itself. Hopefully, Pearl's attorneys will verify this interpretation with the CCRA, and advise their client to seek a variance for the current design.

Last edited by Philly Fan; May 9, 2014 at 3:09 AM.