View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 3:50 AM
Architecture/Engineering

^Really? I'm actually a little surprised (and pleasantly heartened) by that statement.

I dunno. I look at SSC and notice few seem to be interested in Minneapolis developments. It's a little better here at SSP, sometimes. I'd like to think that those of us in the Midwest are all here together, unified, rather than fight as petty rivals. That is what you seem to be implying. And that's great, really!, although I am a little jaded these days.

Maybe it's because I get the impression that unfriendly rivalries often win out over a pride in Midwestern regionalism. I'd be happy to see Milwaukee, Cleveland, St. Louis, Detroit, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, or any other Midwestern city have a potential project like this one. I'd be more than a little jealous, of course! But I'd be mighty proud that the Midwest demonstrates that it is on the rebound! Hell, I still hope that St. Louis does build that 70+ story tower that made the rounds a few months ago!

Shallow as it may seem, I think it would spur a wonderful inter-city friendly rivalry that would help everyone in the midwest - people who have frequently experienced a bunker mentality in the recent past - realize that these fabulous cities still have something to say about life in the 21st Century.

The Midwest is not a sad relic of Late-19th-Early 20th century industrialism. These cities are an important voice for US urbanity in this century.

I realize, SteelyDan, that you are most likely not jaded, and I'm sorry that I launched a riff on your post. I just had a few nutty, idealistic thoughts that I felt needed to be put out there. I'll shut up now...

Last edited by Avian001; Mar 24, 2007 at 4:48 AM.