View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 10:02 PM
Man of Many Statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by civilexpert View Post
I'd say Atlanta is where you go to be gay!
Actually, that factored into my thoughts. The significant gay population here changes the dynamic of the town. The weird thing is that the gays here are somehow really conservative. (The run of the mill ones, not the Queer as Folk ones)

Quote:
Dante - sorry, Atlantans - even liberal ones would mostly be considered moderate by west coast standards. I don't think the activity in this specific forum indicates any greater interest than other cities, if you consider that on places like Urban Planet or even SkyscraperCity - other cities have as much or greater involvement. Additionally, I think the level of activity here is primarily linked to the level of construction activity - not to the level of pro-urbanist views.

Another consideration, the traditional democrat oriented 'liberal' viewpoint is often in opposition to the pro-market high density project. Your tie-dye liberal (especially here in Boulder) absolutely loathes skyscrapers - viewing them as a symbol of capitalist greed.

Civilexpert - I don't at all think paying to use a public greenspace / park is ludicrous. It's the lack of budget funding that has led to the need for federal & state governments to look for additional revenue sources & unfortunately the only remaining option is user fees.
Good points all. I do think our city has become more liberal though. the construction excitement has made the population more civic minded.