View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 4:52 AM
On Guard For Thee

With all due respect RTH, Toronto built several major freeways across it's urban area--namely the Gardiner and the DVP, as well as the 427 to the west. Granted the full freeway plan (Eastern Gardiner, Spadina, Allen) was never completed--but the city built major north/south and east/west arteries. Montreal, a city often praised here for it's walkability and urban character is lacerated every which way by MULTIPLE east/west and north/south freeways.

"Proper" urban streets and "proper" transit are great--but they don't solve the reality of needing to move cars (I know you hate them). Like it or not, the one-way street system was the alternative to more freeways...end of story. I would argue that the lack of gridlock and lack of long, frustrating drives and waits at red lights actually contribute to quality of life...but that is a matter of opinion we are unlikely to agree on. That being said, the current set-up of QEW/403/LINC/RHVP does provide multiple NS and EW routes around the area--which has the potential to greatly reduce "in transit" traffic in the downtown core--and that may well allow "two-way-ing" of King and Main to be viable in the future. Personally I like the effect two-way traffic has had on John and James--all I ever asked for were alternatives before any traffic calming on those streets.