View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 4:36 AM
Fourth and Main

I would like to move here one day too. I've enjoyed following construction in Winston-Salem and exploring this city's history since my first visit in the mid-1990s.

An interesting past week:

U.S. Olympic Cycling Training Center:
505 North Liberty Street, in downtown Winston-Salem, is the leading site for the elite U.S. Olympic cycling training facility. Steve Johnson and other USA Cycling officials visited the site during USA Cycling's November convention in Winston-Salem. Steve Johnson, president and chief executive of USA Cycling, wrote a letter on March 10 for the U.S. Olympic Committee, supporting the downtown Winston-Salem site. Johnson wrote “I believe you have the right group of people, the necessary support of your local government and other public officials, and the corporate sponsors to both develop this training facility and make it sustainable. I believe this building has wonderful potential to develop the programs necessary to become an elite training facility, as well as serve the local community and region in general population health and wellness.” Richard Rauck said the building is in the process of being purchased. Construction could start in Summer 2014 and work could be completed by 2015. They are currently waiting on final approval from the U.S. Olympic Committee and yes, the building would have the five-rings on it. It is expected to attract the top cyclists to downtown Winston-Salem for training. The training center will be financially self-sufficient, with corporate sponsorships, retail and health-care tenants. They will also take advantage of historic tax credits in renovating the 1908 structure. Winston-Salem has become a fast-growing center for cycling in the past few years.

Plant 64 Lofts:

Credit: Jason Thiel

Did anyone else notice Plant 64's Chris Harrison owns the site where a parking deck hidden behind apartments was proposed? The city gave IQ developers around $2 million in incentives for the parking deck and apartments project late last year.

Streetcar Update:
Winston-Salem City Council endorsed a route for the proposed $179 million streetcar by a 7-1 vote. Can you guess how many Republicans are on the city council: 1

Hotel Indigo:
dtws @ WSTB reported the 23-storey building at 401 North Main Street was lit in Hotel Indigo colors along two corners. This could be part of a lighting test for a big announcement to happen this week? This building is often lit in different colors for big events in the city. The boutique hipster hotel would likely cost around $50-60 million.

Olaeris Headquarters:
It appears we may now know the name of the company looking at the corner site (on the Bath Waterway, near the expressways) in the central district of downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. Olaeris would create 200 engineering and programing jobs, in addition to their corporate headquarters. The company expects their headquarters and research center will bring thousands of jobs to downtown Winston-Salem during the next ten years. An electronics component company that works with Olaeris has also agreed to locate near their new research hub. The company would likely work with Wake Forest University's Small Unmanned Aerial Systems Lab. They are currently waiting on the State General Assembly to develop regulations governing the use of drones before building anything.

National Center for Design Innovation:
This is another building we haven't seen an update for on SSP!

Credit: National Center for Design Innovation

Thank you to TwinCity at WSTB for finding this update. It was taken from a drone, so it fits with the previous "Olaeris" update.

Foothills Brewing:
Foothills is one of only 12 beer vendors in the country to achieve greater than $1 million in new product sales in 2013. #1 on the list is Anheuser-Busch InBev. Foothills ranked 10th on that list. Foothills’ top selling new beer is the Hoppyum IPA 6-packs which, according to marketing research firm IRI, was the 5th-best selling new craft beer in its category in the entire country, and the 8th-best selling new package overall. Nearly all of the beers on the lists are distributed nationally. Foothills is only distributed to four states and Washington D.C., making this news even more impressive. Foothills is one of the top craft brewing operations in the southeast United States. They are ranked among ratebeer.com’s 100 best breweries in the world and won numerous awards for their beers, including seven Great American Beer Festival medals and three World Cup Beer medals. This is more than any other brewery in North Carolina. Foothills will continue their expansion with a big announcement expected in Summer 2014. If you love Foothills' beer, visit their headquarters in downtown Winston-Salem, which includes a restaurant and brewery! They are on the Fourth Street Restaurant Row.

Graylyn International Conference Center:

Source: Preservation North Carolina

Sims Patrick Studio's work on Graylyn International Conference Center won an Award of Merit at the 9th annual International Interior Design Association's Design Awards. Graylyn was built as the second largest house in Winston-Salem, by Bowman Gray. Bowman Gray's father founded Wachovia National Bank, the bank that funded the growth of Winston-Salem and the South. This house was a "blank check" type of project. You've likely seen his name on the art deco Bowman Gray Stadium and the Bowman Gray University School of Medicine, which also has a statue of him in a courtyard. If you've never seen Graylyn before, it is an actual castle in Winston-Salem's historic and upscale Reynolda Neighborhood. Everyone from Oprah to Presidents have stayed here. Many people have fallen in love with this castle, which even had its own polo grounds. If you've ever wanted to get married at a castle, you can rent Graylyn for weddings.

Since we didn't have many images/videos to post, I thought I would give you a short tour of Graylyn through found photography. You can also rent this house for movies.

Source

Source: Graylyn ICC

Credit: Russell Darling

Source: carisachee

Source

Source

I've never seen a photography tour on this forum of this house! Someone should visit and take a few photographs for the forum.

Here you can see construction on the hotel room renovations for the conference center.

Last edited by Matthew; Mar 28, 2014 at 4:11 AM.