View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 6:41 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Fifth & Marshall Apartments:
Another new project to follow on the forum. Developer Bill Benton has proposed new construction apartments across the street from the convention center. He has already purchased the property.

Chatham Manufacturing Adaptive Reuse:
We don't see many updates on this project. This is a conversion of the former Union Carbide Complex and the former Western Electric Complex, on the north end of downtown, into office space and apartments. Since Western Electric was the largest employer in Winston-Salem for decades, you would think we would see more updates on this project. From what I can tell, they are just starting on the office space. Maybe the developer can provide another good update, next month?

Credit: Belmont Sayre

Central Library:

Credit: Steele Group

The holes drilled into the concrete panels are used to attach a cable, from a crane, to remove the panels:

Credit: Ann Davis-Rowe

Removal of the 1970s concrete panels (as of Sunday, November 22):

Removal of concrete panels on the South facade (as of Monday, November 23):

Removal of 1970s concrete panels, on the south facade, is 66% complete, right now. They could finish removing all of the concrete panels, on the top three floors and the south facade, by the end of this week? Possibly before Thanksgiving Day? They also need to remove the remaining concrete panels on three sides of the first floor. Most of the panels are already removed from the first floor, so it shouldn't take long to finish that step.

Again, workers will keep the steel frame and reuse it as part of the new library. New steel will be attached to the old steel on the north end. Recycling part of the steel frame from the old structure should help with their LEED certification.

T.W. Garner Headquarters:
Dewey's Bakery has just opened in one of the storefronts in the historic 1920s section of this project. As you know, the building has a new construction section and an historic renovation section. The historic section has several popular restaurants and retail establishments. If you're visiting or live downtown, you really should visit Dewey's Bakery. Dewey's is one of my favorite places in Winston-Salem. The location is at 620 West Fourth, on Restaurant Row.

Undergraduate Sciences Building:

Credit: Ashley LeBelle

Bowman Gray Medical Education Building:
This is the only recent photograph I've seen of the middle structure. The person was the subject and not the building, so it is blurry. This is actually considered a separate building from the university's downtown medical school, called 465 Vine Street, but I think they are merging it into one of these two buildings? I'm guessing it will be merged into the downtown medical school, but I'm not 100% sure at this time.

Credit: My Small Wardrobe

Credit: Unknown

Bailey Park Lower - Phase II:
Biomed Realty has hired Whiting-Turner Construction Company to begin the second phase of this park's construction. It is called Bailey Park Lower. This phase will construct the park's water features and install the restored historic electrical towers (shown as "Relic Tower" on the rendering below) that once stood on this site. Construction could begin in late January or February?

Credit: WSTB

This large green area will be transformed into what is seen in the rendering above:

Credit: Reid Hinsley

Developers, along with the city, are in the process of constructing nearly 60 acres of new park space in downtown! WOW!

Avid Solutions Headquarters - New Jobs:
Avid Solutions announced they will add 25 new jobs. Their new headquarters, which is on our construction list, is topped-out. No photographs at this time.

West Salem Modern:
Modern infill homes in the West Salem Historic District. It would be interesting to hear the opinions of the neighbors on this multi-residence project.

Credit: STITCH Design Shop

Downtown Hampton Inn & Suites:
The developer has secured financing through Capital Bank. No demolition at the site, as of this time.

Kimpton's The Cardinal Hotel & Residences:
Did you know: One West Fourth Street was actually designed to preserve the view of this historic building.

Credit: Lindsay Dinkins

A good look at One West Fourth from the Kimpton Cardinal Hotel:

Credit: David Heckler

Credit: David Heckler

For those interested in the PMC Property Group Apartments: When you see the sign outside, telling you the apartments are available, you need to call. Downtown residences fill very quickly and these developments often have long waiting lists.

Twin City Lofts:
OVER half of the condos in this development pre-sold in just 48 hours. As of 11 p.m. EST on Monday, it appears as if 60% of the condos are pre-sold and they are taking back-up offers. Yes, some of the units have multiple interested buyers per unit. If someone backs-out, another buyer is lined-up for that unit. It appears as if the most expensive and largest condos pre-sold first and have back-up buyers. If you want to buy one of these condos, you must do so right now. We have talked about this before: Downtown residences in Winston-Salem usually fill very quickly. I've seen some developments almost sold-out on the first day. Twin City Lofts are the largest residences I've seen in downtown in several years, so if you want a larger residence, this is your best chance. This developer is also allowing buyers to merge two units into one, if you want a bigger space than what is offered. Do not wait on these! If you are interested, talk with them today!

If you're interested, call today! (336) 918-0107

Don't wait! These could be sold-out before the end of the week?

A 5,500 square foot penthouse was reserved today, with a price tag in the millions. According to the developer, the units are designed to reduce the noise from buskers and the street festivals.

Highest Economic Growth in North Carolina:
Thank you to SSP forum member "M II A II R II K" for finding this. Winston-Salem had the highest GDP growth in North Carolina, according to the Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA). Winston-Salem's economy ranks among the fastest growing in the Southeast United States. We can clearly see this economic growth on this thread, through job growth and construction projects posted here. And this thread is only for large projects.

Credit: Bureau of Economic Analysis

The growth appears to be accelerating, which we can also see in this thread.

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

Credit: hbkoster

Credit: DWSP

Credit: Dumptruck Junior

The terrain in Winston-Salem is rough!

Credit: Kirsten Harms

Downtown's IQ District:
Talk about a mix of uses! Rowhouses, apartments, offices, churches, industrial buildings, and retail structures. This was during the time Winston-Salem was North Carolina's largest and densest city.

The Northern End of Downtown's IQ District 90-100 Years Ago:

Credit: WFIQ