View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 6:33 AM
Fourth and Main

Since the start of the downtown tech boom, in 2012, every year is a great year and significantly better than the last. There are large projects that aren't posted in this thread, since I can't find photographs or updates on them. A 450,000 square foot downtown corporate headquarters, with retail spaces, is among the projects under construction that I can't find updates or photographs of.

Closing the expressway could encourage more people to move downtown or to closer neighborhoods. Several reports on this forum often say the closing of highways is a positive for downtowns and there is nothing to be concerned about.

There seem to be a large number of markets downtown. There is even a "Free Market" on Third Street. A chance to find free items! I've seen a few large markets held across from Bailey Power Plant, too. And many more. Big Winston Market adds to these great offerings.

Projects & Construction:

For the New Year, we have a look at what the new skyline could look like. I apologize for removing some of the buildings. The polygon count is so high on this, I had to remove some of the buildings to assemble and render it. This is my own 3D Model of the city and shouldn't be used without my permission. The grey boxes are the proposed buildings we know the height or floor count of. Buildings we don't know the height or floor count of are not included. Some proposed buildings aren't visible, since taller buildings hide them in this view. The hotel on Third Street is hidden behind taller buildings.

Credit: Me

Winston-Salem is one of the few cities on the forum with a full model to render views in. So, as new buildings are proposed, I can show how they will look.

Hanes Ivy Avenue Hosiery Mill:
The Ivy Avenue Hosiery Mill, built in 1926, is seeking placement on the National Register of Historic Places, to access tax credits. The tax credits are use for adaptive reuse projects. No details at this time as to what their plans are for the building. The building has around 455,000 square feet of space. This would be a large adaptive reuse project! It's located around 12th Street, near the expressway.

Bowman Gray Medical Education Building:
Wake Forest University's downtown medical school will open in just a few months! WOW! It should have a major impact on downtown, when it opens this summer! In the first view, we can see the completed skybridge, linking 525@Vine and the downtown medical school building. Bailey Power Plant is in the foreground.

Credit: Jo Lynnette

I love the reflections in the windows of these renovated buildings:

Credit: Kate

http://i.imgur.com/SEZHgvq.jpg
Credit: Lauren Carroll

Credit: Kolby

A look inside:
These photographs are from December 5, 2015. I apologize for not posting them until now. They are a little old, but show the interior, which we haven't seen much of, until now.

Auditorium:

Credit: Wake Forest University School of Medicine

Gross Anatomy Lab:

Gross Anatomy Lab:

The Atrium:

Procedure Simulation Room:

Procedure Room:

Small Study Room:

Houses Common Area:

Admissions Office:

Undergraduate Sciences Building:
You can tell this building won't be completed until 2017. It should bring hundreds of students to downtown and also have a major impact on Fourth Street.

http://i.imgur.com/NBGoSED.jpg
Credit: Lauren Carroll

Medical Technology Company Expands with New Jobs:
Kailo, A tech company located in the 30-storey Winston Tower skyscraper, is creating 251 new tech jobs. The company opened their Southeast headquarters, in downtown Winston-Salem, last year and they are already adding a significant number of new jobs and leasing more office space downtown. If you're interested in moving to Winston-Salem, there are many jobs for people in engineering, research, healthcare, and technology.

Kimpton's Cardinal Hotel & Residences:
The Forsyth County Historic Resources Commission considered a certificate of appropriateness application, for the interior and exterior of the Cardinal Hotel & Residences, on January 6, at 4 p.m.,. Details were sent to the National Park Service. If you are renting an apartment in this building, renters can move into the Residences in March. High-rise apartments are very popular in downtown Winston-Salem and the upper floors are almost completely leased, before the building is completed! At 329 feet tall, this building is among the tallest apartment towers in the Carolinas and is the tallest apartment building in the Triad area. The 20-storey Nissen Building, a few blocks to the west, held the tallest apartment tower in the Triad title until this building took the title. The apartments share some amenities with the Kimpton hotel, located on the lower floors.

More photographs of the interior, including a meeting space and one of the rooms. You can tell it's Art Deco inspired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants

I love these color-changing lights: (From Nissen Apartments)

Credit: RJ Perry

From the ground:

Credit: George Peterson

Workers have now installed more exterior color-changing lights! New lighting on the corners:

Credit: Kolby

Interior Views of the Residences, by PMC Property Group:

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...pg?resize=1024
Credit: David Rolfe | JournalNow

1802 Vierling House Restoration:
Adaptive reuse of a 214 year old doctor's house, located in lower downtown, into a museum of medicine, research, and science.

Credit: Ellen Lange

IQ District Offices:
As you know by now, I love to see the offices in BioMed Realty's buildings. They are very interesting. This is a recently upfitted space, with beautiful light fixtures!

Credit: simplyseton

Urban Outfitters at Woolworth's Building:
Forget about an accurate restoration. With Urban Outfitters in lease talks for the building, I'm sure most guessed it would be a modern renovation of the space. Workers will only complete the exterior, until the lease is signed. RoedigerHouse at WSTB posted an update on the facade, a few weeks ago. This could be a large retail and restaurant project from Urban Outfitters. Does anyone have an update on the lease talks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoedigerHouse @ WSTB
U.S. Olympic Cycling Training Center:
According to a source: A big announcement will be made, in a few weeks.

Bailey Park Lower - Phase II:
Construction on the second phase of Bailey Park will be completed in April 2016. It appears as if all they are building in this phase is the waterwall, lighted walkway leading to the waterwall, and stairs? So, they will likely have a Phase III next year? These parks are needed to host the city's many festivals and they can only work on them during the cold weather months. I do see some "value engineering" on this project. The waterwall is only a third of the original proposed size, but it is taller. I have noticed that even the value engineered designs from BioMed Realty are nice. The stairs over the waterwall, in the original proposal, would've been amazing to see, if they built it.

New Rendering:

Credit: WFIQ

New Research & Technology Jobs:
RAI, Winston-Salem's second largest Fortune 500 headquarters, has created a new tech operation. Not many details at this time, but it should lead to several more new jobs in the research and technology field and maybe a few new executive positions?

Bailey Power Plant:
Workers are marking locations of underground utilities.

Credit: Matt Darcy

Off-Subject:

Lower Downtown - 250 Years:
The Lower Downtown District celebrated its 250th birthday on January 6. This is the area south of First Street. The neighborhoods in Winston-Salem are very old!

Random Photographs:

20-Storey Nissen Building Elevator Doors (North Carolina's Tallest Building 1926-1929)

Credit: Kacie Davis Idol

You should see the curved solid marble stairs in the Nissen Building! A sculpted work of art!

Credit: Dave Baummer

Rainbow Houses of Holly Avenue:

Credit: amysews

The cornerstone reads 1798:

Credit: Bill Wells

Financial District:

Credit: Adam Mernit

Happy New Year!

Credit: Penny Converse

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 7:12 AM.