View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
There's no real sentiment for separation in Scarborough. If anything there's a sentiment that Scarborough needs better access to downtown and its opportunities, hence the Scarborough subway brouhaha. When I say that most Torontonians are proud of the developments downtown, I'm including Scarborough and Etobicoke.

I'm curious to hear why you think amalgamation didn't help Winnipeg? What factors related to amalgamation could cause a city's relative decline?
I think a big part of the issue was that neighborhoods in the inner city (Downtown, River Heights, West End, North End and Elmwood) were already in decline since the early-1960's. The infrastructure was aging, and the taxes were higher in comparison to the 11 other municipalities which were seen as being tax havens. This was largely why amalgamation was seen as being a good thing, taxes being equalized in the entire urban area.
When the city amalgamated, it still had 50+ councillors for the entire urban area, because all elected officials from the former municipalities in turn came to represent the entire new city. With the expanded area, the city councillors responded by increasing their wages, believing that they had extra "responsibility" for managing the new "megacity".
Also, most of the newly merged municipalities had room for growth (sprawl) whereas the old city did not. Suburban infrastructure spending skyrocketed, at the expense of maintaining existing infrastructure in the former city. The 1970's also saw crime rates begin their increase, however crime was limited to the older city, safety was another issue plaguing the city, and continues to be one. The homicide rate in the former city is about 9/100,000 (down from 19/100,000 in 2011), compared to only 1/100,000 in the former amalgamated municipalities.