View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 5:36 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
Isn't it fixing the lane drop? That is the biggest bottleneck issue I experience when I drive this way.

I forget what exactly they are doing, it's been a while since I looked in detail.
It doesn't fix the lane drop, it just connects the off ramps from 84 to 405. Heading into the area from the north will still drop down to two lanes. What will be different is people driving on 405 to 84 and vice versa won't have to merge to make that transaction. So it will help with that, but even ODOT has said that it won't actually improve travel times during rush hours, nor will it improve the accidents rate because the majority of the accidents happen outside of rush hours when people drive faster through the area.

I would rather see two billion invested into transit and expanding the MAX and building at least one tunnel through downtown (even better would be to have it tunnel under Hillsdale and Multnomah Village.) But since this Rose Quarter freeway expansion is going to happen, I am happy to see that the buildable caps will be a part of the expansion and that Albina Neighborhood will have a real shot of return as hopefully a very dense and diverse district.