View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 6:00 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumly_chgoman View Post
SD not sure if I completely agree with this assesment. Two prominent examples come to mind....the Sears move in the early nineties out to Hoffman Estates, and the recent move by Sara Lee to I believe Downers Grove. Additionally, there are several other large corps whose HQ's or main metro places of business are out in the burbs....McD's , Kraft, Abbot, Lucent, Motorola just to name a few.

I would prefer if these companies would move these operations DT...simply because it would bring more 'prestige' to the DT are...whatever corp prestige means.....and perhaps would help spur the further development of a couple or a few major towers.....
.....instead they are stuck out in office parks that in some sense do directly comepete for corporate investment with the Loop etc
I somewhat agree. McD's could certainly afford do build a snazzy HQ downtown. However, areas like Rosemont, Oakbrook, Woodfield serve as economic powerhouses in their own right. Of course it would boost the status of Chicago proper, but the benefits of those companies are still apparent in the burbs.