View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
No, you're absolutely correct, but there's nothing stopping it from looking picturesque in the future.

A development of homes, condos, boat docks, and retirement communities could be interconnected with linear parks, trees, bike paths, and have a stunning view of ship/barge traffic. Furthermore, if the bridges along the canal were repainted regularly (the legislature has voted to entirely replace the Florida Ave. bridge), the view has the potential to be stellar. I think another big catch would be the fact that your boat could be in Lake Pontchartrain, Lake Borgne, the Gulf of Mexico, or the Mississippi River within a few minutes.

The main point is that New Orleans has no true waterfront property, except for one half of Bayou St. John - which is end to end multi-million dollar homes. Developing some of the Industrial Canal/Intracoastal would allow for large waterfront developments with enormous lots.
There is some undeveloped or underdeveloped property along Bayou St. John between the I-610 overpass and the Harrisson Ave bridge around the Parkview St. John condo building. I haven't been by there in a while, but there was an ugly and abandoned apartment or condo building that has or had a for sale sign on it for a long time as well as empty land and lots that could be developed with views of the bayou and City Park. I think there was a school back there that was suppose to be demolished but I don't know if it was ever rebuilt or is planned to be rebuilt. I think the city and/or HANO own some of the property. I suppose the St. Bernard Projects kept that part from ever becoming nice, although Park Island is really close as well.