View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 5:49 PM

traffic has increased on the golden ears the most and then the port mann and decreased on the alex fraser and patullo with less traffic in new west as well.

I wonder where did people go to avoid the golden ears?

Ending tolls snarls traffic on Port Mann, Golden Ears bridges

'It now takes me approximately two and a half hours to get to work," says one regular commuter

By Tina Lovgreen, CBC News

It turns out, the experts were right.

More drivers are using the Port Mann bridge since tolls were eliminated on Sept 1 by the new NDP government and that's creating some new headaches for drivers.

In the week of Sept. 4 from Monday to Friday, nearly 150,000 more trips were taken on the Port Mann, compared to the same five-day period last year — an increase of 25.58 per cent.

The Golden Ears Bridge saw an even greater increase of 28.25 per cent.
The end of the tolls was initially welcomed by many drivers including Robert Thomasson who was looking forward to $1,500 in annual savings.

"We were kind of excited about the tolls being lifted," he said.

But since the tolls were axed his commute from Chilliwack to Burnaby has nearly doubled.

"Before it took me about an hour and 15 minutes. It now takes me approximately two and a half hours to get to work," he said.

As unpleasant as the 4:30 a.m. wake up calls are, Thomasson said his main struggle is dropping off his three children at school.

"We're having to drop our kids off at the school bus an hour before the school bus even arrives," he said.

"So they're standing outside waiting for an hour waiting for the school bus and we have to get to work and my wife is still getting late to work and she's actually getting in a lot of trouble for it," he said.

Thomasson said he's already had to negotiate a later start time

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ngry-1.4289533